Sunday, August 22, 2010

An Aspie's Wife's Prayer

Sundays are the hardest day of the week for many spouses of aspies.  Some women complain of being "stuck" with their AS husband on the weekends.  I cry more on Sundays.  I hurt more on Sundays.  I face more conflict on Sundays.  And so I pray more on Sundays. 

And as it is The Lord's Day/the Christian Sabbath, I ought to be praying more anyway.  I believe I ought not to be thinking about myself at all, but on the things of God, by praying and reading his Word, the Bible. 
___________________________
An Aspie's Wife's Prayer

God, help me to accept what will never change about my Aspie.

Give me the strength to change my NT expectations for our relationship.

And grant me wisdom to understand the ways you have wired us so differently.
___________________________
These simple truths below, taken from the "First Catechism" for children, should be remembered when we become angry about Asperger's affecting our loved ones:
Who made you?  God.
What else did God make? God made all things.
Why did God make you and all things?  For his own glory.

God made me.  God made him.  God made Asperger's.  Why did God make me, him, and Asperger's?  For his own glory.

To God be the glory.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Aspergers is a challenge - not an excuse.

    It's accepted that your husband will not pick up verbal cues and may not always understand how you feel. It's accepted that he may even not care particularly about those feelings at times.

    However... there is no reason that he cannot be told how you feel and what you need. He has a "duty of care" to meet those needs (as do you) and you need to find a way to get more enjoyment out of your lives together.

    ReplyDelete